Monday, June 20, 2016

Comicpalooza: PostMortem

Comicpalooza 2016 is now in the books.  And from the experience, the next 3 months for Guardian Clash will be 3 things:

1) Tighter Mechanics
2) Cleaner Animations
3) Making the moves more "flashy"

So here are the following Take-aways that I got over the past weekend:

* Effi - Most popular character hands down

* Mayora - Weakest and least popular character (but people loved her design)

* Everyone loved the art style, which I'm especially glad of because I worked hard on that

* People were easily able to get the idea behind the character themes

* Because my booth was situated right next to the area where they were having tournaments in various fighting games (SFV, Pokken, Smash Bros) I was able to get feedback from hardcore fighting game players as well as casual players.

* I was pleasantly surprised that all of the criticisms of the game were constructive and centered around mechanics

Bottom line is that was more than worth the time and money I out into this.  As a game designer, there's no better feeling than seeing people enjoy the game you've spent over a year putting blood, sweat, and tears into making.  

I'm still debating whether to go the traditional publisher route or crowfunding.  Each one has their pros and cons, and what happens in the next 2 - 3 week will determine my decision.

But one thing for sure.  After the feedback and connections I made, I believe I would be doing a great disservice to myself and a lot of people to not see this project through.

No comments:

Post a Comment